This post details problems I’ve had with a Windows 2003 Enterprise x64 R2 install, and more specifically the Internet Information Services Manager, and the certicate wizard within.
I’ve had a couple of strange problems with a Windows 2003 install I’ve been carrying out over the past couple of days.
The first is the fact that despite every component Internet Information Services showing as being fully installed in the ‘Windows Add/Remove’ Components dialog, the IIS manager couldn’t be found within Administrator Tools.
The fact that I got the IIS default install webpage when visiting http://localhost confirmed that it was indeed installed. However, if I tried to run iismgr via the command line, the MMC would open with the red cross informing me that “MMC could not create the snap-in”. After a little digging I found a solution to the problem, which is caused by the IIS manager DLL not being registered (for reasons unbeknownst to me). To fix it, run the following in a command prompt (or from Run):
You should get the confirmation message box telling you that the DLL has been successfully registered. Close and reopen any IIS MMC and all should now be right.
The next strange problem was found when trying to install an SSL certificate within the IIS manager. Right clicking on the ‘Default Website’ branch and selecting properties, and then clicking on ‘Server Certificate’ within the ‘Directory Security’ tab wouldn’t open the certficate wizard. Clicking on ‘Edit’ had the same result, the certificate wizard just wouldn’t open. Again, this problem is caused by a component not being registered, run the following command to register the Certificate Manager OCX:
Again, you should receive confirmation that the component has registered successfully. Now, if you go back into IIS Manager you’ll see that you can now click on the ‘Edit’ button, but clicking on ‘Server Certificate’ still does nothing. That means that there’s still one more component to register, certwiz.ocx – do so by running the following:
Et voila! You should now be able to run the certificate wizard.
I haven’t a clue why these two problems have occurred with this particular installation, I’ve done nearly a dozen near-identical installs and never ran into this problem before. I’m just glad it didn’t result in a complete reinstall